Wednesday, May 13, 2009

After the Cast Removal

Secretly we were hoping that everything would be back to how Olivia was before the surgery when the cast came off, but realistically it was closer to the day we came home from the hospital. She was exhausted, and in pain, but not able to get rest because she was too tired. She needed to get used to not having the cast, and her new found mobility, proved to be more of an annoyance.

Her legs are very tender and stiff. She would rather be sitting than lying down because her hips are used to being in that position. I am stretching her almost to the point of discomfort, which I know that I would probably hurt her if I went beyond that.

Two nights ago she was up every 25-45 minutes from the time she went to bed at 8 p.m. I gave her more pain medicine when she was able to get it (at 9 p.m. and 1 a.m.) and the 1 a.m. dose helped her sleep until 3, and when I gave her the 5 a.m. dose, she slept until 8 a.m. It was a harder night than either of us had hoped for, I'm sure.

Last night was thankfully better. Olivia had her medicine at 9 p.m., and stayed up until 10:00. She slept until 2 a.m., and I gave her more pain medicine and she slept until 8 a.m.! For the first time since she came home for the hospital, I had enough rest through the night to be aware that Dave was leaving for work.

I'm still sleeping on the mattress in her room which is a comfort for me, and hopefully Olivia is glad to have me in there. I am hoping that she is able to sleep through the night soon, but we'll do what we have to.

We went for a walk last night, and Liv was very glad to be outside in her jogging stroller. Maybe the fresh air helped her have a better night's sleep. It was absolutely beautiful out there. I know she enjoyed it.

Today has been a pretty good day. Jack and Robin read to Olivia in her bed for a while, and I know she liked that. They read her the "Olivia" books. I know the kids are glad she's getting better. They don't like that she's been so uncomfortable, but they've been very understanding when we have to stop what we're doing to take care of Liv.

No comments:

Post a Comment